By default, Sourcing Optimizer will create a scenario, ‘Low Cost Baseline’, which is a scenario with no business rules imposed, once a round closes. Click 'Evaluate' to run the scenario evaluation.
The 'Scenarios' screen (Figure 1) displays the following information about each evaluated scenario:
- Winners - the number of winning bidders
- Total - the total allocated cost
- Coverage - The % of lots that have been awarded
- Winners - the number of winning bidders
- Saving (%) - the calculated savings percentage (historic cost must be mapped to see this column)
To view the allocation results, click on the scenario name, and then click on the 'Results' tab.
Creating and Evaluating a Scenario
- Click the '+ Add a scenario' button at the top of the 'Scenarios' screen (See Fig 1)
- Click on the edit icon next to the scenario name in the header to rename the newly created scenario, change it to something descriptive (e.g., "One Winner Only")
- To add a constraint/rule, click the ‘add’ button under the desired rule in the 'Add rules' section of the screen
- Select the appropriate rule category (e.g., if you want exactly 1 winner, click ‘Add’ under ‘Limit winners’)
- Add the rule (e.g. select 'All bidders', to select the bidders the rule will apply to, select 'All lots' to choose which lots the rule will apply to, and then select 'Exactly' and type in '1' to specify exactly 1 winner)
- Click 'Save changes'
- Add additional rules, if needed
- Click ‘Evaluate’ at the top of the screen.The header section provides a quick summary of the scenario result based on the applied rules.
- Click on the 3 tabs at the top of the screen to view the following allocations of a desired scenario.
- Bidder Chart: A bar graph represents the number of lots or allocation cost for each bidder. Hover your cursor over each bar for more information on the allocation (Cost, Lots Awarded, and Savings). The bar chart can be configured to show either Cost or Lot allocation using the 'Display' filter on the top right hand side of the screen.
- Lot Chart: Similar to the Bidder Chart, the Lot chart displays the cost allocation associated with each lot. Each bar is color coded to identify the unique bidder awarded to that lot. Use the drop down filter on the top right hand side of the screen to view savings associated with each lot. Use the filter on the top left hand side of the screen to filter on specific lots or defined lot groups. Hover over each bar to see more information regarding the allocation.
- Lot Details: This screen displays the allocations for each lot in a table format. Each awarded lot will display the total cost allocation, the awarded bidder, and the savings associated with that lot..
Scenario allocations can be downloaded into an offline report in the Scenario Analysis page on the Analyze tab (Analyze > Scenario Analysis). Please see the ‘Analyze: Scenario Analysis’ section of the user guide for more information.
Click here to access a list of business rules.
The ‘Information’ icon in the ‘Add rules’ section provides a drop down menu to learn more about the available rules. These each link to an article that provides more information on how to use the respective rule.
Use the 'Evaluate all scenarios' button at the top right of the scenarios screen to evaluate all unevaluated scenarios at once.
Use the 'actions' button on the far right of each scenario to:
- Copy – Make an exact copy of the scenario, including any rules attached to it. This is a great way to build-up a scenario since you don’t need to create the rules from scratch.
- Delete – Delete the scenario
Scenario's can be re-arranged by clicking the 'Arrange scenarios' button, and then reposition the scenario (see Fig 1).
To rename a scenario, simply click on the edit icon next to the scenario name. After modifying the name, click 'Save'.
Managing Rules and Constraints
The ‘Rules’ tab shows all the applicable rules that are being applied to a given scenario. Rules can be toggled ‘On’ or ‘Off’ to temporarily enable or disable certain rules in the scenario. This feature is particularly helpful in quickly identifying conflicting rules that can lead to infeasibility.
The header section in the scenario provides a quick summary of the evaluated scenario (total price, bid coverage, number of winners and % savings) based on the applied rule changes.
Clicking the ‘Actions’ icon on the right hand side of the rule will presents additional management controls for the scenario:
- Edit – Edit how the rule if being applied e.g. change the number of bidders the rule is being applied/change the volume being awarded in the rule.
- Disable – Stops the rule form being applied to the scenario. Same functionality as toggling the the scenario to ‘Off’ or ‘On’
- Delete – Deletes the rule from the scenario.
A scenario automatically resets itself when a rule is edited, toggled On/Off, or when a rule is added/deleted
Hints & Tips
This section provides some general tips on how to get the results you are looking for.
How do I award just the lots from a lot group?
Sometimes you want to limit the award of a scenario to just the lots contained in a particular lot group. In this case below, the "European destinations" group has 105 lots but all 518 lots in the event have been awarded.
To award just from this group you have two options:
1) Create a "Not European destinations" group containing all lots not in your "European destinations" group. Then aware exactly 0 lots to this group.
2) As below, add two additional rules. One to award exactly the number of lots contained in "European destinations" and the other to only award that number of lots across all lots. That will result in just the lots in "European destinations" being awarded.